Butler Beach

Debbi Winogracki       Recreation Programs Manager            
                                              FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Berkeley Township                                                                                                August 18, 2017
732-269-4456 x 3108                                                                                                                                Dedication Ceremony at Butler Beach
Beach was destroyed by Superstorm Sandy

 BERKELEY TOWNSHIP- Mayor Carmen F. Amato would cordially like to invite the public to the Dedication and Ribbon Cutting Ceremony of Butler Beach. The ceremony is slated for Saturday, August 26th at 10 am at Butler Beach, which is located on the bay at the end of Butler Blvd. in Bayville.

“Our residents will enjoy the upgrades to Butler Beach,” said Mayor Amato. “The State Department of Environmental Protection approved Berkeley Township’s permit for an engineered beach that adds another 740 cubic yards of sand to the existing beach. The engineered beach will also have a longer life expectancy than standard beach replenishment projects.”

Another enhancement to Butler Beach is the crabbing and fishing pier for local residents to use. It is a 195-linear foot, four-foot wide dock.  Butler Beach was donated to the Township of Berkeley by former Mayor Marcus C. Butler and his wife, Grace Rogers Butler.

The ribbon cutting ceremony will also include a re-dedication of Alexandra’s Playground.

“In 2015, after Superstorm Sandy tore through our beaches, we had over 100 volunteers team up with the non-profit group Alexandra’s Playground. The group came to Berkeley Township and installed new playground equipment, free of charge,” Amato stated. The donated equipment and volunteers saved Berkeley Township $70,000 in expenses. Alexandra's Playground works to bring the gift of play into the daily lives of all children. They believe that a community playground will also provide families with the opportunity to play with and get to know other families in the neighborhood.

Berkeley Township expects to receive 90% of FEMA reimbursement for the $331,380 Butler Beach project cost. Mayor Amato is hoping the remaining 10% will be reimbursed from the State Department of Community Affair.  If the DCA funding is not available, Berkeley’s portion of the project will be $33,138.